General Advice and Information for Landlords

General Advice and Information for Landlords


Your property and contents should be comprehensively insured for letting. This should include insurance cover for loss of rental income which we can arrange on your behalf, but policies should also include public liability, theft and malicious damage by the tenant.

Consent for Leasehold Property

If your property is leasehold you must ensure that any letting is permitted by your lease, and that any tenancy terminates prior to the termination of your lease. Any lease condition must be noted in the tenancy agreement for the Tenant’s attention. If necessary, the written permission of your Landlord should be obtained for sub-letting.


If your property is subject to a mortgage, you must ensure that your mortgagee gives permission for the property to be let and we are made aware of any special conditions or terms required by your mortgagee. Alternately, we may be able to refer you to specialist financial advisors able to offer products designed for let properties.

Jointly Owned Property

If your property is jointly owned, you must ensure that any joint owners are party to the Tenancy Agreement or give their consent in writing for the property to be let.

Tenant’s Deposit

All deposits for assured shorthold tenancies must be held under a Government-approved Deposit Scheme and registered within 30 days of the commencement of the tenancy. All properties should have an independent inventory conducted prior to the commencement of the tenancy and any properties that we manage, having one in place is compulsory.


Services such as electricity, gas, water, phone, TV licence and council tax are the responsibility of the Tenant unless otherwise stated.

Condition of the Property

Prospective Tenants will pay a great deal of attention to the cleanliness of the property and the condition of its gardens (if applicable). Prior to occupation, both the house and the gardens should be overhauled by outside professionals. By doing so, you will achieve the best rent for the property. We also highly recommend having the property professionally cleaned prior to tenants moving in so as to set a high standard of cleanliness and avoid any arguments when returning the deposit.

Continuous Improvement

We strongly recommend that Landlords invest in maintaining and enhancing their property year on year. This will improve both the rental return and the quality of Tenant it attracts.


A property can be let fully, part or unfurnished. We can advise you as to any items which should be left or added. The Fire & Furnishings (fire safety) Regulations 1988 & 1993 require that all upholstered furnishing, loose fittings, permanent or loose covers supplied in rented properties must meet fire resistance requirements and must display the kite mark confirming it complies with the regulations.


All appliances, including central heating, should be checked and serviced prior to letting. Service contracts should be kept in force for items such as central heating and kitchen appliances. Full details should be given to us. All instruction manuals and guarantee cards should be left at the property and a copy supplied to us if managing.


Tenants are required to have one full set of keys each for all main locks and garages (if applicable). Window keys and mail-box keys should be offered to at least one tenant and we will require a full set of keys for management purposes if necessary.

Non-Resident Landlord Tax

A Non-Resident is defined by HMRC as:

  • You left the UK to go abroad permanently or your absence and full-time work abroad lasts at least the whole tax year;
  • Your visits to the UK are less than 183 days in a tax year and average less than 91 days a tax year over a maximum of four consecutive years

If you do not register for Non-Resident Landlord tax exemption, we have to take 20% tax from the gross rent (the income minus allowable expenses) and pay you the net amount remaining. We then send the tax to HMRC. We are audited comprehensively and have to be able to prove to HMRC that we have followed the letter of the law in all cases. So of course it makes sense to fill out the NRL 1 form (NRL 2 for companies and NRL 3 for trustees) and gain exemption from HMRC. This means we can pay all your rent direct without removing tax.

Professional Advisors

As the Landlord’s Agent we will take every care in the management of your property, and the information we provide. However, we are not legal or financial experts. If you have any queries of a legal or financial nature, you should consult your solicitor or accountant.

View our full list of landlord services here

Landlord Services